Skip to content
Martha's apple recommendations
Best apples for Pie and apple crisp
I like to use a more tart/acidic apple that holds its shape when baked in my pies to balance out the added sugar. This produces a well balanced highly flavored eating experience!
These apples hold their shape well
- Northern spy, Jonathan, Granny smith, Winesap, Ida Red Jonagold, Wealthy, Jonagold, Zestar, Pristine.
Sweet pie apples if you'd rather add less sugar
Best apples for apple sauce
Typically I like to mix two varieties of apples or a single variety for my sauce. Both methods are great!
The same rule of thumb goes for sauce as it does for pies, more tart/acidic apples combined with your sugar will yield a well balanced flavorful sauce.
- Lodi- quite tart balance with more sugar. An intense flavorful experience!
- Jonathan & Jonagold -sugar to taste
- Golden Delicious- less or no sugar needed
- Cortland- sugar to taste
- McIntosh- sugar to taste
- Ida Red- sugar to taste
- Bramley's Seedling- quite tart balance with more sugar. An intense flavorful experience!
Best apples for apple butter
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.